Can Rodents Damage My Yard During the Colder Months?
Posted by Stephanie Morgan on
November 28, 2022 @ 9:00 am PST
As the weather gets colder, many people think that rodents will go away. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Some rodents will take advantage of the cold weather and try making your yard their home. There are a few things you can do to keep them away.
How rodents damage yards
As the colder months approach, many homeowners begin to see damage in their yards from rodents. This is because rodents are looking for food and shelter from the cold weather. Some of the most common ways that rodents damage yards include:
1. Eating plants: Rodents like to eat plants, damaging your garden or landscaping.
2. Digging holes: Rodents will dig holes in your yard in search of food or shelter. This can ruin your lawn or make it difficult to walk on.
3. Chewing on wires: Rodents love to chew on wires, which can cause electrical problems in your home.
4. Carrying diseases: Rodents can carry diseases that can harm humans and animals.
How to prevent rodents from damaging yards
As the colder months approach, many homeowners begin to worry about rodents damaging their yards. There are a few simple steps that homeowners can take to prevent rodents from damaging their yards during the colder months.
One of the best ways to prevent rodents from damaging your yard is to eliminate potential sources of food. Make sure to keep trash cans and pet food dishes clean and free of debris. You should also trim back any trees or shrubs that may provide rodent shelter.
Homeowners should also take steps to rodent-proof their homes. For example, seal any cracks or openings around your home's foundation, and ensure that all doors and windows fit snugly in their frames. If you have a rodent problem in your home, you may need to call a professional pest control company to help get rid of them.
The best ways to get rid of rodents
If you have rodents around your home, it's essential to get rid of them as soon as possible. Rodents can carry diseases and damage your property. Here are some of the best ways to get rid of rodents:
1. Use traps. Trapping is one of the most effective ways to get rid of rodents. You can buy traps at your local hardware store or online. Be sure to set the traps in areas where you've seen rodent activity.
2. Use bait stations. Bait stations are another effective way to get rid of rodents. Bait stations are enclosed boxes that contain poison bait for rats and mice. The bait stations should be placed in areas where you've seen rodent activity.
3. Hire a professional pest control company. If you have a serious rodent problem, it's best to hire a professional pest control company to handle it.
The impact of rodents on the environment
Rodents are important in the food chain as both predators and prey. They also play a role in dispersing seeds and other plant material. In addition, their burrowing and digging activities aerate the soil and help to control pests and diseases.
However, rodents can also be a nuisance to humans. They can damage crops, contaminate foodstuffs, and spread disease. In some parts of the world, they are considered serious agricultural pests. In urban areas, they can cause considerable damage to buildings and other infrastructure.
In conclusion, it is vital to take steps to prevent rodents from damaging your yard during winter. By following the tips above and calling The Experienced Gardener to help, you can help keep your yard looking its best all season long.